Saturday, April 9, 2011

Now we are 7

Okay, I am a very delinquent Mom, waiting nearly a month before writing a Happy Birthday post to my big boy. My excuse is that we’ve all been sick with colds since his birthday. But really, that’s just an excuse. 

For his 7th birthday, Ethan decided he wanted to take some friends to the Shedd Aquarium and then to dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. I originally limited the guest list to three other boys, but let Ethan talk me into adding a fourth to our group. (In addition to Ethan, we took Kai, Caleb, Zak, and Braden.)

Not being willing to take on the challenges of shepherding 5 first grade boys through the Shedd myself, and being certain that the twins weren’t up for that long of an outing, we enlisted the help of Aunt Rita, Uncle Steve and Austin. Three adults, one tween, five boys — no problem right?

Well, it would have been but for one serious oversight — the weekend we picked to celebrate was spring break for at least half the world. I was expecting the aquarium to be crowded, but it was insane. We’re members, and I had ordered the extra tickets ahead of time so at least we didn’t have to wait in line. But inside it was still packed. 

I have to say the boys were all very well behaved and only spent a minimal amount of time pushing each others buttons. But I was so worried about losing one of our boys, or of picking up one of someone else’s, that I wasn’t able to relax at all. 

But the boys had a great time, and we survived. So I guess I would have to call the party a success. (But next year we’re going to do something easier. Either that or John can chaperone.)

1 comment:

Rita said...

But as one of the recruited chaperones I think it went very well! And I agree the boys had a good time. I'm glad we could come and help!