Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sunday, according to Ethan

This Sunday, in Sunday school, we tried something different with the kids. Pastor Mueller led the opening in the sanctuary (instead of Pastor Miller — whose three kids are in Sunday School — leading it in the Sunday School room). It did seem to help settle the squirrels, I mean kids, down some.

One of the things Pastor Mueller emphasized for the kids was the response during Advent to the prayers in church, “Come Lord Jesus.” He told them all he wanted to be able to hear them joining in the response, and they all practiced several times before we went to our classrooms.

During the service, I had Ethan and his friend Peder sitting with me, and I was happy to see that they both were repeating the response with everyone else. (See, kids DO pay attention.)

Sunday afternoon, Ethan and John were excited because the Vikings game was on television. Ethan even watched much of the game with John (he often won’t watch the Vikings because John gets a little too involved in the game, and it makes Ethan nervous).

Later, as I was making dinner, I heard Ethan chanting to himself as he was running around. It took a while, but I was finally able to make out what he was saying over and over: “Come Lord Jesus. GO Vikings!” Sunday in a nutshell.

2 comments:

Rita said...

Now that is hilarious!

The Traveling Mouse said...

I read this to Dad as he was about to leave for his clergy meeting. he can hardly wait to share it with the rest of the group!