Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Running wind sprints with Ethan

Ethan has mastered the art of riding his bike with no training wheels — and is very excited to practice his new skill.

Unfortunately, he has not, as yet, mastered the art of stopping with no training wheels. This poses a problem unless either Mommy or Daddy run along side so that when he’s ready to stop, someone can catch him.

Now in theory, this isn’t such a big problem. It’s not like we’re going to be sending him off unaccompanied for a little ride. So staying by his side to help him stop shouldn’t be a big inconvenience. Except for one little problem: he’s very fast.

Yesterday, with John, Ethan rode five laps without help, and John got his track workout in. Ethan was so excited about his breakthrough that we went out for ribs (Chicago Joes) to celebrate.

Today, he was ready for more.

So after watching a bit of the Tour de France, Ethan and I headed back up to the high school track, where we have the best luck practicing riding. I hadn’t planned on doing a track workout, and had left my running shoes (and orthotics) at work. My inappropriate footwear put me at an even bigger disadvantage than my normal lack of speed would have. (It also provided a handy excuse, but we won’t get into that.)

After trying for two laps to either keep up with Ethan or teach him how to stop on his own, I was ready to throw in the towel. But he wanted to keep riding, so he decided he could go around on his own. And he did — for another half an hour. I would criss-cross the center of the track, and meet him when he was ready to stop. But otherwise, he was riding like a pro on his own.

After a few more days of practicing, and I suspect he’ll master the stopping. Then we’ll really be ready to fly. Look out Tour de France, the next best young rider is on the move.

3 comments:

Rita said...

Sorry to hear about the sore feet, but so happy to hear Ethan is enjoying his new skill!

editgirl said...

My feet recovered, but I discovered new muscles in my back side the next morning. I guess I need to do more track workouts (the hidden benefit to Mom of this whole experience).

The Traveling Mouse said...

I can hardly wait to see Ethan flying with the wind!

BRAVO!