Monday, February 9, 2009

We have succulents!!!!

Ethan and John went to the Garfield Park Conservatory yesterday while I continued my recovery from my ear and sinus infections, (lots of fun). When they returned, Ethan came bursting into the house clutching a plastic grocery bag and shouting, “We have succulents! We have succulents!”

My first thought was that the Conservatory was having a plant sale to raise money (which they do from time to time), and that Ethan talked John into buying something. But when I asked Ethan how he got the succulents, he told me Linda gave them to him.

Apparently, as John and Ethan were leaving the succulent and cactus room, Ethan was explaining to John that some of the plants were succulents, and what that meant (no doubt based on the Handy Manny episode where Manny helps plant a succulent garden to save water). One of the Conservatory employees – Linda – overheard them, and started talking to Ethan.

Linda takes care of the succulents at the Conservatory, including clipping them to keep them from becoming too unruly. She saves the clippings, and if she hears someone who is obviously very interested in the plants, she offers them some clippings to start at home.

“But she won’t give them to someone if they ask, Mom,” Ethan informed me. “Only if she hears that they’re interested.”

She explained to Ethan some of the interesting properties of each plant …

“This one has built in sunscreen to protect it, Mom.” “Do you have a cut anywhere? We could break the aloe leaf and put it on your cut. It would make it better.”

… and how to get them started …

“You don’t put them in the dirt, Mom. You just set them on top. And don’t throw away the leaves. They’ll turn into new plants with roots.”

We originally had planned to check out a book on succulents and cactus when we went to the library yesterday, but the call of the flower and bird books was too strong, and we hit our self-imposed four book limit before we were able to search out anything else. But I'm sure we’ll be reading up on succulents soon.

So tonight after work, Ethan and I will be planting our very own succulent garden. We’ll be sure to post pictures as they start to grow.

1 comment:

Grayliners said...

“But she won’t give them to someone if they ask, Mom,” Ethan informed me. “Only if she hears that they’re interested.”

How often we ask for things that we're not all that interested in -- just so we can have them.

That's also true of my relationship with God: I ask for things just because I think I should have them. But God can hear in my request that I'm not really interested. So, God continues to listen, until he hears someone who's genuinely interested.

Thanks, Ethan.