Sunday, January 18, 2009

It’s myFarm, no it’s MY farm

It’s a new year, and we have a new addiction in our family: playing myFarm on facebook. Our friend Drew tipped us off to it a while ago, but I resisted setting up a farm for a long time. I was afraid this would happen.

But eventually, I had to check it out. And I got hooked. It’s a simple game, really. You plow your land, plant crops and harvest them when they mature. You can get friends to send you trees, which bear fruit, and animals. You can save your money for a chicken coop (eventually the chickens will lay eggs), a barn (to sell animals), a woodshed (cut down some of those trees to sell) and a rustic shack (abilities to come).

At first I was farming alone. I didn’t want Ethan playing any other games, so I never showed him my farm. But eventually he got involved as well. Then we got John started. And my friend Jennifer is playing (obsessively as well) in Germany, so we’ve been chatting with her about the farm. It really is a fun little game.

The problem now is one of ownership. I like to tend to my farm before everyone gets up in the morning. It only takes a few minutes, and it goes well with coffee. However, Ethan considers it his farm.

So every night before bed, he now issues orders: “Don’t harvest anything on my farm.“

“Whose farm?” I’ll inevitably reply.

“Okay, it’s your farm. But still don’t harvest anything. I want to do it.”

And just like that, I’ve lost control of my farm. Poof. Of course, I don’t always listen to him. And generally we’ve worked out a compromise that I harvest the crops, he gets the trees. I also let him incorporate the gifts, which I move around (some) later.

So fair warning to all of you on facebook: Beware the farm. You’ll end up hooked.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ha ha. Yes it's funny that we both had to write about our newest obsessions. I set up the additional farm on Chris' FB account so Logan would leave my alone. It's worked great but again during the week I have to tend it. I started the others really as an experiment and if I don't get to them it's no problem. One has crops only and in a cool design. Another is crops, trees and some animals. Another is only trees. We'll see how long I can keep it up. I like to farm in the a.m. too as well as in the p.m. after all the kiddies are in bed. However, it's taking away time I should be spending on learning German so I've been thinking of just cashing in all my crops. The trees can just stay as is since there isn't a penalty yet for not harvesting. The one thing I wish they would change about the game is allowing one pool of money instead of five just like they do for gifts. It would make life easier I suspect for everyone. I think I read somewhere on one of the forums that this is something the developers are thinking they might change in the future. We'll see. Did you get any Christmas trees due to the gift database crash? Logan got two but I didn't get any. I went on the forum and it looks like I wasn't the only one. Oh well.