
When you have a child with a persistently good memory, being a little absent minded can be painful.
I promised E that we could have ratatouille (he still knows that as the dinner, not the movie) for dinner on Sunday night, and promptly forgot about my promise. As we were eating, he said, "You said we were going to have ratatouille for dinner. Why aren't we having ratatouille for dinner?"
I promised we could have it for dinner on Monday night, forgetting about swimming lessons.
So, on Monday morning, I had to call E from work to apologize, but we wouldn't have time to make ratatouille after swimming, and we would have to make it for Tuesday night.
"That's okay, Mommy," he reassured me. Whew! I was worried he'd be a little upset given the amount of time we've spent recently talking about how important it is to keep our promises.
Needless to say, it wasn't as easy as that. The whole way home from swimming, all we heard was, "Are we having ratatouille for dinner? Why aren't we having ratatouille for dinner? When are we going to have ratatouille for dinner? Why didn't Mommy have time to make ratatouille?" (Can you say obsessive?)
He kept up the reminders all evening, and the one of the last things he said to me after I kissed him goodnight was, "Don't forget to make the ratatouille."
So, at 5:45 this morning, I was in the kitchen making ratatouille so we could have it for dinner tonight. (I LOVE my crockpot.)
And if he doesn't actually eat the ratatouille …
2 comments:
Well - did he eat/enjoy it?
Yes, with some strong "encouragement".
Post a Comment