Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sew proud

Ethan is making Christmas presents this year. And for Colin and Veronica, he has decided to make them each a pillow. This is an especially good choice for two reasons: 
  1. Colin and Veronica LOVE pillows. They love diving on them, stealing them from other people, snuggling with them … you name it. 
  2. Ethan is using the elephant fabric that I used to make pictures for the babies’ room. And they LOVE the elephants. Every day, I have to hold them up so they can say “hi” to the elephants, and before bed they always want to say “goodnight.”
What I didn’t anticipate was how excited Ethan was going to be about his project. I let him use the rotary cutter (with a little help) to cut the fabric squares, and then he pinned the fabric (and pricked his finger), sewed it together with the sewing machine, turned it right side out, and stuffed it. The only part I did for him was hand sewing the opening closed. 

When he finished the pillow, he came running upstairs to show John, talking a mile a minute [of course] about how he had done it all himself. It was very sweet, and will be a much-appreciated gift I am sure. (I’ll try to remember to take a picture when we make pillow number two this week so I can share.)

No comments: