Yesterday, on our way to church, Ethan and I had to stop at CVS to pick up some supplies for the service project they were doing in Sunday School and some notebooks for school. As we were checking out, Ethan asked, “Mom, can we get the paper?”
Me, surprised, because we haven’t gotten the paper since he was a baby: “Why do you want me to buy the paper honey?”
Ethan, after hemming and hawing for a few seconds told me he wants to start reading the paper: “But I promise I won’t read the violent parts, Mom. I just want to know what’s going on.”
So I bought him the Sunday paper (when did they go up to $2.00?) after he promised that if he read anything he found upsetting, that he would stop. Later, as we were walking into church, he told me that Greg (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) has to sneak the paper in Book 2 because his parents don’t want him to read it.
Me: “Why don’t they want him to read the paper?”
Ethan: “Because of the violent parts. But he wants to know what’s going on in his town, so he keeps sneaking it.”
Me, to myself: “Ah, now I understand why we’re getting the paper.”
So, I am the proud Mom of a not-quite-seven-year-old who is reading the Sunday paper. So maybe he skims more than he reads. But I could say the same about my own reading habits (with the paper), so who am I to complain. We’ll see how long this lasts, but I really can’t complain.
2 comments:
Do you realize the pressure this now puts on his grandparents? We are now going to have to be more diligent so we can keep up with Our not-quite-seven-year-old) grandson!
Don't worry. I don't think he's reading much beyond the headlines. You should still be able to keep up.
Post a Comment